[at-l] How to help a newbie: Part III WAS: crampons

> Y'know...  From my perspective, it seems he is relying on you for
> a lot of
> prep work.  I think he should take on some of that on his own.  Why don't
> you get him on this list?  His success on the trail will be that
> much more meaningful.

You are right, to a point.  He asked me to help, and I've pretty much taken
it on myself to help him be properly prepared.  The logistical issues are
all his, and I'm not helping with that.  (Things like mail drops, what towns
to stop in, where to stay.)  The hike is all his, but the training is all
mine.  In a training sense, he belongs to me.  This is reciprocal, and when
he's helping to train me, I belong to him.  I'd love to put him on the list,
but he's not computer savvy - and barely computer literate.  I don't think
he'd cope well with the list, so for now I'm printing it or forwarding those
things that are relevant.

> In one sense, he's right about the number of people on the trail.  If he
> goes to shelters each night, he really is going to see quite a few people
> there.  If he avoids the shelters and plans on tenting between
> shelters (and
> some of the best tenting spots really are NOT at the shelters),
> then he can
> start in prime thruhiker season and still have as solitary as
> experience as
> he would like.

Printing that...

Shane