[at-l] How to help a newbie: Part III WAS: crampons

Y'know...  From my perspective, it seems he is relying on you for a lot of
prep work.  I think he should take on some of that on his own.  Why don't
you get him on this list?  His success on the trail will be that much more
meaningful.

Even if you are showing him all of our responses to the questions you are
asking on his behalf, they would be a lot more meaningful TO HIM if they
were in response to direct questions he was asking.

That being said...

In one sense, he's right about the number of people on the trail.  If he
goes to shelters each night, he really is going to see quite a few people
there.  If he avoids the shelters and plans on tenting between shelters (and
some of the best tenting spots really are NOT at the shelters), then he can
start in prime thruhiker season and still have as solitary as experience as
he would like.

If he's starting early, he's going to want to tent anyway.  Staying in your
tent is so much warmer than in the open shelters.  If he's going to tent,
than there's no reason to stay at the shelters.  If he's not going to stay
at the shelters, than there's no reason to start early to avoid crowds.

FWIW, you really do not encounter crowds on the trail.  It's only at
shelters and other obvious gathering points (summits with views, etc) that
you are likely to encounter others.  The only people you actually see on the
trail are people going the other way or those going significantly faster or
slower than you.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99