[at-l] How to help a newbie: Part III WAS: crampons

Shane asks about insulated boots.

In Maine in winter I mostly wear Sorel, rubber soles, leather top boots, with a
wool felt liner. LL Bean makes a similar boot and made it's reputation with
them. I wear Sorels (a Canadian company) because they are cheaper.

I suspect most hikers in the south wear regular hiking boots and put up with
chilled toes.

Keeping your body extra warm helps the extremities somewhat, but I know of no
easy solution. You can buy heavy, insulated leather boots, but I never found the
advantage was equal to the cost.

February 1 starts add enormous complications to a thru hike and there are no
easy ways to avoid them. It is not something I would recommend to an
inexperienced person.

Weary