Re[2]: [at-l] The ethics of snoring......

Actually snorers don't know they snore loudly.  All they usually know is
what others tell them.  HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU'RE SNORING WHEN YOU'RE
ASLEEP?!!! :-)

As to waking snorers: Ask them before y'all go to sleep if anyone's ever
told them they snore.  Some of us run on auto-pilot and don't really know
what's going on when we are wakened.  Then we mumble something and fall
right back to sleep.  It's easier to get snorers to react while they are
still awake. And never ever hit us.  Some of us hit back. ;-)

One friend practices "mumbling" while "asleep" when he sleeps in a "crash"
room at cons.  He says what he mumbles tends to clear out a crowded "crash"
room that's gotten too noisy.

Now as to smokers: I once was caught on a plane with a smoker (pre-anti
smoking rules).  He had a big stoogie.  The plane was full and there was no
where else to sit.  I had a tension headache complicated by stuffy sinuses.
I asked him to put it out because it was making me sick.  He refused.  I
explained that I use to be a heavy smoker and understand how he felt, but
couldn't he show a little common courtesy.  He kept on smoking.  Then I told
him I was getting a really bad sick headache and I didn't know if I could
grab the air-sick bag in time.  & Since he was smoking, I was going to face
his seat.  He stopped.  Since then, I've used similar tactics in restaurants
and elsewhere -- even when I'm not coming down with a serious headache.

When I am caught in a "full" shelter, I tried to go by who was there first
and what the majority did.  I also considered such factors as "polite" kids
(really young ones) and people who did not carry tents or only minimal
tarps.  Then I'd decide whether to out or not.  Usually I did.  I really
hate practicing "Hurling-Fu". :-0

William, The Courtesy Turtle