[at-l] A Large Thank You.....

I've spent the better part of my free time this past week with the 2002
Editions of the Thru-Hikers Companion and the A.T. Data Book.

Just wanted to take a minute and thank the good folks responsible for these
two efforts:  Re. the Companion:  Stacy Mikkalsen and her Associate Field
Editors have put out (On time!) the best Companion yet.  Daniel Chazin,
who's been at this for more years than anyone knows, has given us the best
Data Book ever, this year's edition being improved so as to key with
Official AT maps and Guidebooks.

Those of us who spend a lot of time on the Trail have a tendency to take
these works for granted---they come out annually, and we always assume
they'll be there for us each spring as we plan our travels.  I'm not sure
folks realize how much work and effort goes into researching, up-dating,
improving, and fact-checking these works, and how difficult it is to produce
these works each year, on time, so they're ready and available for all the
folks who've come to  "expect" them.

As someone who has spent hours beyond counting using these books both before
and during my hikes on the Trail, I just wanted to let all of the people
associated with the production of these books (including the good folks at
the ATC and ALDHA) know that this does not go unappreciated, and having
these works available each year, and IMPROVED each year, performs a
tremendous service to the hiking community, and I, for one, am incredibly
impressed at the work that these folks do.

I urge anyone planning to spend any length of time on the Trail this year to
get thair hands on both of these works, and in so doing, to help support the
two fine organizations responsible for publishing them.  More information on
both of these books can be found at the "Ultimate Trail Store" section of
the ATC website, www.atconf.org

                                              Jack Tarlin
                                              Hanover, NH
                                     A.T 95-96;97;98;99;2000;2001