[at-l] question on pants recommendations

On 4 Mar 2002 at 15:37, rick boudrie wrote:

> I have always been confused about what kind of pants work best when there is
> snow on the ground.  Wool is too hot and bulky, and blue jeans tend to
> freeze solid when wet.  I know that for a fact, as that's what I wore
> through the Smokies into Georgia in late November.  Worked OK for me, but
> not worth risking condecending eyes over these days. Nylon pants or tights
> just dont seem right to me, although they probably are.

I got myself a very basic, very lightwieght Goretex top & bottom,
from Campmor, for $200 (both pieces.)  With polypro next
to the skin, the pants will keep you warm even when it's 20
degrees out... 12 years later, I still have both pieces and they
always come with me on hikes, of any duration.

Jeans are useless for hiking, IMHO.  I brought a pair, but they
were sent home from the PO in Suches.  Especially brutal in
winter.  On the wall inside the Adirondack Loj is a sign that
says, "Cotton Kills."

Polypro is a godsend, IMHO.  I suppose there are newer fancier
materials these days, but nothing gives as much warmth per
unit weight.  You can cover your whole body with maybe 5
oz.' worth of the stuff, and it balls up into a volume the size
of a grapefruit.

rafe b.
aka terrapin