[at-l] Personal Safety WAS: hiker burdens

>  None of which means very much. Wise hikers
> should be alert for suspicious
>  people they meet on their walks. But these
> events happen so rarely that its
>  easy to become complacent.

For those interested in personal safety, I highly recommend
a book written by a good friend of mine.  The book is
titled, "The Seven Steps to Personal Safety."  I just became
aware that he has made it available for download in PDF
format.  This is not a short download, but the information
is very valuable.  The link is:

http://www.lubrinco.com/7steps.pdf

>  He then wanted to know how I found my way. "I
> just follow these white blazes,"
>  I said.
>
> Puzzled, he came over and looked. "Someone must
> have painted them," he
> exclaimed. I allowed that probably someone had.

This is truly exquisite.  Ah, to be young and ignorant
again...

Shane