[at-l] How to help a newbie part II: Dealing with cold terrain: WAS: Weather Links?

> My suggestion is not to sweat it.  Forget weather
> maps and statistical averages.  You need to be
> prepared for extremes, as you will almost surely
> encounter extremes.

My friend Bob is leaving February 1, 2003 from Springer.
I'm asking this out of ignorance of the terrain.  If he were
going somewhere out west, I'd know how to advise him.  My
question is this:  What kind of cold weather foot gear will
he need?

Crampons?  Snowshoes?  Skis?  I'm guessing the crampons are
a good bet...

Thanks,

Shane