[at-l] Informal poll - fate of Scott Farm

In a message dated 3/3/02 12:08:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, hopefl@juno.com
writes:

> As I said, I am not familiar with Scott Farm so there may be other
> factors that I'm aware of, and which would put a different color on
> things.  Hopeful

     ***  The Scott Farm base has the particular quality of being right on
the AT where it emerges from the Cumberland Valley flat walk. It's a
particularly well-sited location next to the (cannot pronounce it) Creek.
It's location at the end of a hot, shelter-less stretch and before the jump
up over to Duncannon makes it convenient for AT hikers.

     Perhaps the Mid-Atlantic section should be a little further north, but
the farm is close enough to the center of the regional zone to be useful for
access to its assigned area. It is nearby to interstate access as well.
Having it near the Boiling Springs Mid-Atlantic HQ is probably helpful...

    The only positive side to removal and relocation of crew facilities is
the freeing of direct trailside land for reforestation for Trail-effect. In
my opinion, the rural farm nature of the Valley is an already existing
quality that doesn't require forest restoration that badly. It's removal
would be more costly than the aesthetic gain in that regard...

    Is there anyone in the Trail community in the hazardous
removal/restoration business who could lend any advice? I know of a
maintainer who is in the asbestos removal business myself...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---