[at-l] Informal poll - fate of Scott Farm

> The $30K is for openers - just the lead. There are other problems,
..........snip........> We don't know the maximum cost yet.

> NPS has a budget for structure removal and that is their first
> choice on ALL
> structures anywhere on the AT. The option to retain a structure
> needs
> justification.

I'm not familiar with Scott Farm so I can only think in general ideas. If
the Farm is on par with the Walasi Yi or other such places/structures
associated with the Trail, then I'd tend to think that it is up to the
Trail community to lead the charge to save it. That would certainly
include raising money for the project. However, we are not the last of
the AT hikers. The AT is a national treasure and there are generations to
follow who will want to enjoy it. For that reason, I feel that the NPS
needs to consider the restoration and preservation aspects.

The reality is, federal dollars are hard to come by. Another reality is
that some times change is not a bad idea. The Konnarock base was moved,
as I understand, because the original facility became to costly to keep
up. A new base came was build behind the NFS maintenance facility that
includes 8 or 10 huts, there are kitchen facilities, mess
hall/meeting/office areas and a two shower houses. Things there are less
primitive than a field camp and, all in all, very adequate. At least I
think so.

Because the work crews are allowed to use some of the NFS facilities, my
guess is that the total cost of the base is under $15k to build.
Maintenance cost are not major, I feel sure. The present location of the
Konnarock base is workable for the area that crew covers. If there is a
similar facility for Mid Atlantic, AND if there is not more significance
to the Scott Farm than just being a base camp location, then maybe it is
time to consider a relocation.

As I said, I am not familiar with Scott Farm so there may be other
factors that I'm aware of, and which would put a different color on
things.  Hopeful
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.