Re[2]: [at-l] Checking for polarized lenses

On 2 Mar 2002 at 15:08, Bob C. wrote:

>  I've never worn sun glasses for any length of time. I've tried to from time to
>  time, but they just filter out too much of what I go into the outdoors to see.

Actually, a good pair of polarized glasses will allow
you to see things that you wouldn't have seen with
the "naked eye" -- by killing the glare on reflective
surfaces.

More importantly, though, it's been pretty well
established, I think, that using sunglasses is
good for the eyes, in the long run.  And I think
that's especially true what with the thinning of
the ozone layer, since more UV is now reaching
the surface of the earth -- and especially so at
altitudes well above sea level.

Better still, wearing sunglasses does not impact
the trail or its ecology, in any way <g>

If you're concerned about the general "dimming"
of the view, try to find a pair of photochromic
glasses -- ie., the kind that automatically adjust
their opacity according to the ambient light.

I don't wear sunglasses when I'm deep in the
woods, protected by the canopy.  But when I'm
up on a ridge, exposed to direct sunlight, I
find them quite comforting.  At my age (not
quite 50) I really don't like being outdoors,
in the sun, without them.

rafe b.
aka terrapin