[at-l] Great Moments in Search and Rescue.....

The following is an Associated Press story from the Boston Globe.  And no, I
am NOT making this up:

   Bangor---Frostbitten Fugitive Threatens Lawsuit

   A convicted sex offender, who is wanted in Florida and fled into the
Maine woods when approached by a detective, is complaining that he lost a
few toes to frostbite because police were slow in arresting him.  Harver
Taylor, 48, spent at least three nights lost in the woods in Mattawamkeag
after running from a Penobscot County sheriff's detective a few weeks ago.
Taylor now threatens a lawsuit.  "If the detective had done his job, I
wouldn't be here now," Taylor told the Bangor Daily News Thursday from his
room at St. Joseph Hospital.  Taylor has said he has had "two or three" toes
amputated on his left foot due to frostbite.  Chief Deputy Glen Ross of the
sheriff's office said Taylor is wanted in Brevard County, Fla. for probation
violations linked to his convictions for sexual offenses involving a child.

    Two or three toes, eh?  Seems to me that in this particular case,
justice would've been better served if he'd managed to freeze off some of
the other mechanics of nature, if you catch my drift.  Just goes to show
that the backcountry is NOT for everyone, which perhaps, is just as
well......