[at-l] Impact of Hiking?

On 2 Mar 2002 at 2:23, Rich Bowyer wrote:

> I have never been much for organized religion

amen brother <g>

> so perhaps if church was in the
> woods more people like us would attend.

The AT does bring out the spiritual side of
me, though, like nothing else can.  Especially
in those places where it is completely wild,
with no sign of civilization in sight.

Hard to describe what I feel, then.  A zen-like
"one-ness."  Being a part of the food chain.
Alone, vulnerable, and part of something
huge and beautiful "that was not made by
the hands of man."

This feeling requires solitude and true
wilderness.

rafe b.