[at-l] Feedback Request for new idea

On 1 Mar 2002 at 18:52, Orange Bug wrote:

> But the idea of a traveling sandwich/meal wagon is kind of attractive.
> Would hikers accustomed to trail angels be willing to part with money
> for resupply at road crossings?

What a day, what a day.

The issue that caused my expulsion from ATML
was defending the notion of "hiker feeds" -- which
WF strenuously opposed.  I argued that hiker
feeds would be innocuous and harmless, a fine
idea.  I was all for it.

But the thing that Ed's suggesting is far more
insidious, IMHO.  Damned if it doesn't make me
wonder whether WF was right.

For starters, Ed's proposing a commercial venture.
God help us if the idea catches on.  Imagine
coming down into Brown's Gap to find a line of
AirStreams (or worse) parked there, as far as the
eye can see.

Much as I would have killed (or at least begged)
for a cold beer that night, I'd still prefer NOT to
see the trail commercialized, which is exactly
what Ed is proposing.  Even if he makes it
"really cheap."

Honest, I'm not trying to be a purist here -- but
does it not occur to you that you might just end up
killing off the very thing that makes the trail so special?

rafe b.
aka terrapin