[at-l] Golf clubs

"Hey, wait. We haven't heard from me, yet. The guy with the
dynamite."  Homer J. Simpson

I know everyone was just dying to know what I thought about
all of this 'list content' stuff. About 100 posts today
discussed it, and only two mentioned me (and, more
surprisingly...they weren't necessarily bad). I'm probably
going to say the same thing I've said every other time this
has come up.

The thing I don't understand is how someone can join the
list only to find out it isn't what they thought it would
be...and, then complain about it. I don't think anybody ever
said "Join this list and we'll do everything possible to
make it the way you want it." If the list isn't what you
think it's going to be, leave, or adapt. If a restaurant
isn't what you think it's going to be...do you try to change
it? Or, do you leave?

People are always talking about 'off-topic' posts. And, they
talk about list volumn. A hundred-plus e-mails a
day....well, I don't want to get 100 posts a day about
hiking. How boring. I'd rather get 85 about a variety of
things and 15 about hiking. Hell, I'm going to delete about
94 of them unread anyway. What makes the difference?

Of course, I make more 'off topic' posts than anyone. Why?
Because to me the AT and this list mean a lot more than what
purifier someone uses, or how much their pack weighs. I'm
more concerned about the guy going through a divorce, the
woman whose stent might be failing, the bone marrow
transplant, the smoker trying to quit. I'm more interested
in making someone smile and forget about what a crappy day
they're having than if Lekis tear up the trail. I'm not
saying to not talk about Lekis...but, I'm not going
to....usually.

Another thing about the list is how much stuff goes on
privately...there is a lot more information being passed
along privately than many realize. I answer a lot more
hiking questions privately than I do on the list.

I try to get along with everyone. And, I've been fairly
successful. Of the thousands, and I do mean thousands, of
posts I've made, I've really only regretted one. That
involved Baltimore Jack. I don't disagree with what I
said...I just shouldn't have said it. Jack and I are
probably better friends because of it, but it was still
wrong. And, I tip my hat to you, my Jim Beam-drinking
friend. Very nice post today. I typically don't mind what
anyone says...I just don't like it when folx take shots at
other folx. "Count to ten and delete" is a good rule of
thumb.

Bandwidth a'wastin'...I know I haven't said anything new.
Maybe I shouldn't have said anything that I have. I
seriously doubt that this list is going to change. I don't
want it to. So, I'd say to get used to it, or get ready to
send a note saying "how do I unsubscribe? there are just too
many posts."

Ryan, are my golf clubs still in your garage? If so, you can
have them...I found out today I'm left handed. Who knew?

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98