[at-l] RE: Horses On The Trail

> 	Horse groups are now actively working to
> promote an ethic for retaining
> goodwill in the eyes of the general public, just
> as hiker groups are doing.
> Also actively working to create new trails, and
> retain access to open land, a benefit for all.

Cool.  Wilderness land use is an issue for all outdoors men,
and group efforts are the best way to secure that use.  I
don't have a problem with horses, ATV's, motorcycles,
mountain bikes, snowmobiles, and other such recreational
uses - when done responsibly and appropriately.  At one time
or another, I've used all of these to enjoy the outdoors,
and I can say that there is a responsible way to do it.

ATV's don't have to be earth-quaking, earth-shredding
monsters for instance.  But most people ride them that way
because they think it's 'fun'.

> 	I speak to all hikers here, not to Shane.

Understood.

> 	For many horses, the strange shape of the
> pack-laden beast on the trail
> ahead of them is what is unsettling.

And for many people who haven't had any contact with horses,
the mass of a horse can be very threatening. This is also
something not often seen in the common literature:  What to
do when encountering a horse.  I'm glad you posted this for
the rest of us.

> 	There is no way to know whether the rider
> is up to the challenges presented
> or not, so safest to assume not (no flames about
> whether they "should" be,
> we're talking realities here). And we all know
> how fear often translates then into anger and
> rudeness...
> 	Only rudeness and unkindness irritates, be
> it from hikers or horsemen.
> Shane, your fellow sounded like the
> out-of-line-but-scared/aggressive type.

Well, sneaking up behind a hiker and freaking out when the
horse gets spooked is pretty far up on the list of stupid
things I've witnessed.  A simple HELLO! when he first saw me
would have saved everyone concerned.  I know we're talking
reality, but if I'm going sailing, I have no one to blame if
I don't know how to control my sails...

I like horses - despite being bitten, kicked and dumped into
a river on one occasion.  Some horses, like some people, are
evidently mean.  If you aren't sure how to handle them, it's
best to stand way clear.

> 	Thanks for the opportunity to spread the
> word a little bit.

Thank you for sharing.

Shane