From: Leslie Booher [mailto:lwbooher@halifax.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 9:19 PM
To: Shane Steinkamp; Billie H. Cleek; AT-L@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] Good trail movies

If you've irritated the horse people, it's my fault, since I started it.  Do
y'all remember a letter to the editor of Backpacker several years ago where
a guy was on a horse on a trail out west and the hiker wouldn't give way?
The horse jumped off the side of the mountain with the rider on him.  The
rider/writer survived, but the horse didn't.  The hiker just moved on and
left the mess behind him.  Not nice, even if I don't "do" horses.  And I'd
sure give them all the space they wanted to get by  me.  They're bigger than
I am.  For those of you who know nothing about horses, and that includes me,
they can't see anything in the center in front of them; if I understand
correctly, they can see from about 1:30-5:00 and from 10:30 back to 7:00,
thinking of a circle as the face of a clock.  My first backpacking partner
trained hunter/jumpers, and she taught me to stand uphill, off the trail,
and to be still while the horse passed by.  She also taught me, if I were on
a small road with another vehicle passing, to stop and let the other person
do the passing; that way, if there's an accident, it's the moving person's
fault.  Hey, it works for me.  <G>  anklebear