[at-l] Kids packs

"This year I'm making a big push to gradually ease my 9 year old daughter
into backpacking.  We have a good plan, I think, to bring her comfort
and fun level up."
 A camelbak sounds like a good idea, as long as it's not too heavy when full.
Let her pick it out though. I've found that my kids really like the gear (and
trips, btw) that they pick out themselves.
 When just starting my kids, I found that the most important thing was to be
completely flexible with the itinerary. My kids love spending an hour
exploring a clearing, chasing wildlife, or napping. I also was always
prepared to carry all the gear, and the kid too, if I had to!
 Easing kids into backpacking is smart. You don't want to turn them off with
big 'all work' hikes at the beginning. As long as they're having fun, you
never know how far they'll want to take any new interest! I've even met kids
that age who have completed Vermont's Long Trail :O)
have a blast, Cleek!
TJ

multipart/alternative
  text/html