[at-l] AT-L Content (Old Master)

Rafe (and RnR) -
OM's blast was actually mild in comparison to past (last years) posts.  Last
year we went through several (6?) months of constant putdowns (although not
just by RnR) of the list, the membership, the content and the purpose, the
least of which was that at-l consisted entirely of atml (TP) refugees.  I
won't rehash  that here.  It got right nasty.

HOWEVER --- in this case, I think RnR was honestly trying to make a
suggestion to improve the list rather than attack it.  That the suggestion
was taken as a continuation of last years "discussion" isn't surprising to
those of us who were there.  But I don't think it's worth pursuing on either
side - I think he should be taken at face value, the same as any other list
member.  And he is, as I said a year ago - a part of this community. Nearly
every family - nearly every community - contains those who are "the fringe
element".  RnR is one of them.  I may be another - in a different way.  But
a community that can't deal with their own "fringe element" will likely not
ultimately survive.  And that, Bob, was the major problem and ultimate
downfall of atml - long before you ever discovered it.

I suspect RnR's suggestion was made in ignorance of the other methods of
accessing at-l "information".  And in that respect, it was good because,
frankly, I'd forgotten some of those methods of access, too.  So - all other
considerations aside - I'll say thank you to RnR for bringing the subject to
light.

Fact is (sit down RnR) that most of RnR's recent posts have been as good as
anyone elses here.  I don't always agree with him, but when he talks about
hiking or trail maintenance or shelters - he's worth listening to.  He has
knowledge and experience in those areas.  Only when he gets off on trail
protection or the god-like status of Wingfoot and McKaye does he get extreme
and lose my interest.

Just for reference, Rafe - I was the "original" (first) excommunicant
(expellee) from atml.  And the second.  And the third.  After that I didn't

Walk softly,
Jim