[at-l] AT-L Content (what it means to me...long)

Just my two cents worth, from a non mainstreamer and somewhat newbie on
the at-l list.

My daughter is finishing a 'tune out tv week' that her school sponsored.
We can accomplish a tune out OT postings as individuals whenever we like
by deleting, using various methods of accessing the data, or just
turning the list off for a few days, weeks, etc.  To stop OT postings as
a whole seems impractical for a virtual community such as this.  I for
one believe the community atmosphere, OT posts and all, ads value for at
least some of us.  I may be a party of one, but just two days ago my
wife was quite concerned and wanting to discuss my solo hike coming up
in a little more than a week, and a trip with my son starting this
weekend.  When I explained to her that I *knew* hundreds of people that
would be on the trail this year, and that at least a few would be in the
same sections as me at the same time as me it relieved her a lot.  (I
didn't mention that any of them were DaRedHeaded kind or I would have my
red headed wife on my case big time!).  When I told her about
Black&Blue's schedule, since we have exchanged itineraries, and his
delay because of his father in law, she understood the community that
exists.  My son and I are holding off leaving for a day so the weather
can warm up and so we get to see Black&Blue (maybe) on the trail.  I
also let her read the emails from Jensine at Rainbow Springs, from
Orange Bug, TJ Fort, Black&Blue and many others that have responded to
my questions.  The benefit is not just for my wife's peace of mind, I
benefit from it as well.  It makes it a lot easier for me to go for my
walk knowing there are others out there that I share interests with.
It's a support group kind of thing.

Do I read every post?  No way. I use the tools at my disposal to pick
and choose the threads I want to read.  Sometimes I am in the mood for a
silly post, so I don't delete Felix's posts, other days I am short of
time and I do.  In the sense of at-l being a community, I believe even
the OT posts add value by strengthening the sense of community.

I haven't been to a RUCK yet, and hate that I missed the GA RUCK by
joining this list just after it was over.  I still enjoyed seeing the
pictures online.  Until two days ago I had never met anyone on the list
in person.  Since then I have shuttled 3 people to the trailhead just to
get to meet people and return some of the help I have received online
such as guidance for gear, trip planning, which roads are open and all.
I got benefit from meeting those three people as they shared their gear
list with me.  Heck, who could imagine a 17 pound pack, food and fuel
included, and staying warm in 14 degree weather?  Now I have seen it
first hand.

Some of the posts are silly, some are serious.  I'm glad to be a part of
it.

Besides, if there weren't so many emails, I might have to spend that
time looking for a job.