[at-l] Like water for chocolate - admittingly not trail related -or is it?

Phil Heffington <Phil.Heffington@oc.edu> wrote:
> OK, to make this trail related.  My two sons both speak fluent Spanish
and pointed out that Mexican movies have a certain mystical "reality"
about them that American movies usually do not (I can't remember the
term for it).

"Magical realism" is the term literary critics apply to what Spanish writers do like no one else.  Gabriel Garcia Marquez won the Nobel Prize in literature principally for "One Hundred Years of Solitude," IMO, humble or otherwise, THE best novel of the 20th century.  Astouding creative genius as a writer.  I am concerned that Hollywood will one day be allowed to make a movie version of this masterpiece and will ruin it.  I'm hoping that if and when Marquez ever allows it, it will be the Latinos or the Europeans who tackle it and not the Americans.  There was a movie of one of his novellas several years ago, "Eriendera and Her Evil Grandmother," with Irene Pappas.  Marquez also wrote two of the most perfect stories for children ever put on paper, "A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings,"  and "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World."  Marquez is only one of the great Latin American writers: Llosa, Neruda, Borges, Paz, Allende, Esquivel are just a few of the other first rate Latin !
American scribblers.  Spanish literature is as rich as English literature.

Que Bueno Balls