[at-l] distress signals

At 02:35 PM 2/27/02 -0600, Phil Heffington wrote:
>Clifford wrote:
>
>"You don't even want to know what I think of someone that wouldn't
>respond to
>a distress signal."
>
>You missed my point completely. ...clip...
>Let's be practical.  Gun shots in the woods, even 3 at a time, would
>have to be repeated several times before almost anyone would interpret
>it as a distress signal, and then be able to locate the person in need
>of help.

I would be unlikely to interpret 3 gun shots as a distress signal and
besides the difficulty of pinpointing the direction previously mentioned
(combined with my failing hearing) I be unlikely to go looking for someone
in the woods who I knew was carrying a gun if I wasn't wearing red or
orange.  If I had mistakenly assumed that it was a distress signal, they
might mistake me for something else.  As I said before, I try to stay away
from people packing guns.  From a really practical standpoint, exhaling 3
times costs nothing and didn't add to the pack weight going in.

sAunTerer