From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Marielle & Paul
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 9:09 PM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [at-l] Re: still more maildrop stuff

Hiawassee was our first town stop and we really enjoyed it. Here is an
excerpt from our journal to give an idea of what is there.

PA  (MA & PA 99)

*******************************

The Hiawassee Inn was only $29 per night and included HBO. From then on I
always checked to see if HBO was included. We showered and put on clean
clothes .  We put on our Teva sandals and walked   to paradise, also known
as Daniel's Steak House.  All thru-hiker hikers check their guides and
handbooks for restaurants that are identified as AYCE, or All You Can Eat.
For northbounders, Daniel's is the first AYCE.

When we arrived, SHAVING DAVE was leaving with a group but decided to keep
us company while we ate.  BADGER and SUNDOG were also here.  I asked these
two southern boys if the food was a good example of southern cooking and was
told that only grandma made better fried chicken. The buffet consisted of
fantastic fried chicken, roast beef, okra, assortments of greens, lots of
veggies, salads, biscuits and gravy, and dessert.  I had to ask lots of
questions cause much of it was unfamiliar. Cost per person for this feast
was $5.95.  While we were eating, FAL and HERCULES arrived. They were still
a few days behind us on the trail but had managed to get to Helen Georgia to
stay with some friends who drove them to the restaurant. We met FALCON,
EAGLE, and KAYBEK who were sharing a room at the more expensive Howard
Johnson because it had a laundry and pool and sauna on site. To their
dismay,  the pool was closed for repairs.

The next morning, we bought our groceries at a large supermarket. Our next
re-supply was planned for the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) 70 miles away
so we bought about 8 days worth of food.

Late in the morning we packed our bags and hiked back up the road to
Daniel's for another great meal.  On the way, a large number of hikers who
were hanging out at  the local outfitter, waved noisily at us.

After lunch we went and joined the hikers at the outfitters where I bought
new socks.  We met the two French speaking girls we had heard about, Hélène
from Manitoba who was called H and would later become WOODY and her best
friend Anne Marie from southern Ontario who would become FARLEY.  Also there
were their two female friends POCO and  NATTY as well as BLUEGRASS (Willie)
and his dog DOBRO (Althea) and GRUFF. They were waiting for a ride from the
owner of the outfitting shop. WOODY said we would have no problem hitching a
ride.  She said to just stand at the road and the second or third car would
stop. Ma and I walked to the curb and stuck out our thumbs and counted 48
cars. This was one of many occasions where it seemed that the younger hikers
were having more success than us.  Maybe it was the hat?

The outfitter came out, put an "away" sign on his door and told all of us it
was time to go.  I looked at his pickup truck with the cap over the back and
shook my head in disbelief.  We loaded all eight backpacks into the back and
then BLUEGRASS ordered DOBRO onto the pile. Then six of us crammed ourselves
into the back  and the other two went in the cab. It was really crowded with
no room for anything else,  or so I thought. Rather than head up the
mountain he headed to the supermarket where a  few got out and came back a
little later with a couple of cases of beer and a box of wine. We were then
driven back up to the trail.

www.hikers99.homestead.com

multipart/alternative
  text/html