[at-l] stealth camping

Jim Mayer wrote:
>I agree with Lee's impression of how poorly situated campsites get
>started, but I have to disagree with his use of the term "Stealth
>Camping."  The "Stealth Camping" term comes from Ray Jardine, and
>generally involves:
>
>(1) No water
>(2) No cooking
>(3) No fire
>
>It is actually introduced as a way to avoid bears, because bears
>generally travel near water or other good food sources.  Since stealth
>camp sites are not near water, they are very unlikely to turn into
>permanent campsites.

Gotta agree with Jim - we do a lot of stealth camping - that's one of the
reasons we haven't done a lot of fires over the last 10 years.  And I
seriously doubt that, unless you actually saw where we camped, you'd be able
to find one of our campsites 4 hours after we've left it.  If a campsite is
impacted - it's not a "stealth" site - and it's likely to have nocturnal
visitors.  Which is precisely what I don't want.

Walk softly,
Jim