[at-l] hiking sticks: another difference

> > That's the beauty of using a 'white cane' or 'blind cane'.  For
> $17.95 you
> > can have a pole that's light, strong, folds to be 14 inches.
>
>  Aren't they just "feelers"?
>
> I can't imagine they would hold any serious weight or pressure without
> snapping in two.  Surely you jest when you recommend them as hiking poles.

Nope.  I've used the same set for almost 3000 miles.  They are much stronger
than you'd think.  While they aren't as strong as a wooden pole, I have
never had a collapse or failure, and they're in excellent shape.  They will
take considerable weight, but they will not function as a crutch if you
sprain an ankle like a wooden pole will.  Are Leki's, etc, capable of that
function or not?  (Never having used them for any great length of time, I
don't know.)

Not all white canes are created equal, however, and some are very light and
flimsy.  The W.C.I.B. cane offered by Independent Living
(www.independentliving.com) is very strong, and has a golf club grip which
is very comfortable.  They also offer the non-collapsible kind, which may be
stronger - but then it isn't very portable, having the same disadvantage in
that regard as a regular wooden pole.  There is also a graphite
'ultra-light' model, which I have not tried, so I don't know if that's
stronger or weaker.  If you do sprain an ankle or break a foot, however, you
can just fold them up and find a nice strong wooden pole to get you to the
next town.

Having used different poles in different configurations and lengths over
many years, the white cane has the greatest portability.  You can fold it up
and stick it in your pack or into a pocket.  I don't know about the AT, but
when hiking out west sometimes a little free climbing is required - and a
pole can be a liability rather than an aid.

After saying all that, I use white canes because they work best for me.
They are AN answer to the question, but not necessarily THE answer for
everyone.  If you're the type of person who really digs in hard with poles,
and puts a lot of stress on them in order to make miles, then they probably
aren't for you.  (Even though I have used them like that with no problems.)
If you are a moderate user, however, I think they are just perfect.

Shane