[at-l] Weary Of Shelters

In a message dated 2/26/02 12:39:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ellen@clinic.net writes:

> . I strongly advocate against building any more shelters.

    ***  Gee Weary, as a maintainer I have to go hard against you here.
There's nothing like an AT shelter. I think many more are needed to space out
usership. Shelters could be built a 1/2 mile off the Trail to accommodate the
spring overload. If you want more space, you'll walk the distance.

    I spoke to an ATC regional rep who confirmed that shelters improve the
rest of the Trail and its surroundings by taking those who would have camped
trailside and concentrating them in one spot. If you tear them down, the
campsites people go to in their place will also have the same problems.
Campsites are built around a water source and hikers will tend to go there at
day's end. Same difference. Weary speaks with the voice of a tired shelter
builder... ;)

    A side note: Jim forgot to mention the shelter pole capacity of Leki's...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---