[at-l] AT missing the presidential peaks

I concur about the weather in the Whites. I've been hiking there once or
twice a year for the last 10 years, and I've seen weather that runs from
90 degrees and sunny, to 40 degrees with sustained 50 mph winds (was
absolutely crazy to be in) and 35 degree rain storms (when it was a
pleasant 60 degrees in the valley). I haven't seen snow in the summer
but know people who have.

I can only say that I've never been happier to see an AMC hut than the
day we came up out of the back valley to Lake in the Clouds. Was a
miserable cold day with a steep climb up to the ridge and we were
absolutely chilled by the time we got there. Nothing better than
getting a bowl of hot soup at the hut and drying off a little before
heading out for the rest of the day. While we were eating, the clouds
cleared and we spent the rest of the afternoon walking the ridge in 65
degree sunny weather.

The signs along the way are no joke when they warn about hypothermia
year round. I've seen thruhiker's coming over Lincoln and Lafayette in
shorts and tank tops surpised by 35 degree rain and fog (and wondering
where the heck Garfield Ridge Camp site is).

Sean