Re[4]: [at-l] Perspective on Lekis & ZipStoves

>  Oh, I'm sorry. You say you want to buy a pole? I'm afraid I
> can't help you
>  there.

I own many different walking sticks - but I can't bring myself to pay a
hundred bucks for poles.  While I don't disagree with Weary on the benefit
and cost effectiveness of finding or making your own hiking staff or staffs,
I often use the 'white cane' that is used by blind people.  They come in
many lengths, are very light, and fold continently.  You can get a variety
of tips, and can even use the rubber tips available for 'real' hiking poles.
Unless you are on ice, I don't see the point of a steel tip.  (No pun
intended.)

I would suggest:

http://www.independentliving.com

Click on 'products' then 'canes'.  You can buy a nice folding aluminum white
cane 'walking stick' for a lot less than a Leki.

As far a ZIP stoves, I like mine - but they aren't for everyone.  Every kind
of stove has its limitations and it's drawbacks.  You should try to borrow
different ones and try them out.  Often your local hiking club will be able
to help you out on this.

Shane