Re[2]: [at-l] Wood stoves: a threat to the trail?

On 25 Feb 2002 at 22:02, DTimm65344@aol.com wrote:

> Not at all - the thread was about burning wood - the implication of your
> earlier post was that alcohol was better somehow because it's a fermentation
> process - fermentation processes typically need a heat source, typically
> burning wood.   Simply clarifying that, as you state, all things have costs.

OK, the silliness continues.  Cliff said something
like, "alcohol doesn't grow in the bottle."  I got
to thinking about that, and it occurred to me that
the distillation of alcohol has a rather long and
fascinating history...  which also got me thinking
of Eric Ryback's remarkable thru-hike, and his
encounter with the still.

Personally, the only camp stoves that really piss
me off are those MSR "Internationale" models, and
that's only because of the noise they make.  Nobody's
talking about noise pollution, though, in this thread.

In case anyone's asking, I use a MSR Whisperlite,
and I think it's just dandy.

rafe b.
aka terrapin