[at-l] Zip Stove Environmental Damage

In a message dated 2/25/02 5:48:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
saunterer@jimbullard.org writes:

> Clay is never the result of rotting vegetation.

     *** Sorry, I should have said mineral soil. In NY we call it 'clay'
soil. It's a reddish hued, homogenous, compact earth occurring under the
topsoil and above the bedrock. Since glaciers scoured most everything off the
surface down to the bedrock during their last appearance, I would assume
those soils were rebuilt from thousands of years accumulation of leaf fall
and forest decay. Glacier-polished bedrock face can be found *underneath*
presently existing clay soil deposits. The origin is obviously the millenia
of forest accumulation since the scouring...

    A ranger once told me that the NY AT forest went through a series of
forest successions starting with northern firs. We are currently in a
declining oak predominance phase moving towards a maple, beech phase
-according to him...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---