Re[2]: [at-l] Wood stoves: a threat to the trail?

Cliff Haynes wrote:

> And of course in the comparison of wood vs.. Alcohol, the comparison doesn't
> take into account what it takes to produce each ounce of alcohol or the
> container it is sold in. Of course if you are only concern is "not in my
> back yard" I suppose it's ok to look at a lopsided comparison, that assumes
> Alcohol grows in the container on the store shelf.

I thought alcohol was inherently "organic."

I mean, it's been in production more or less since
the dawn of history.  Made from fermentation of
grains, potatoes, grapes, or just about anything
that grows.  Nothing could be more eco-friendly.
Nothing at all or nefarious about its production,
unless you're with the WCTU.

Matter of fact, one of the very first thru hikers --
a young fella named Eric Ryback -- was briefly
detained at shotgun-point by some yokels
manning a still, right on the AT.

Young Eric may have been a bit lost at the
time.  The trail wasn't very well marked back
then.

rafe b.
aka terrapin