[at-l] pittsburgh 02/24/02 530pm

pittsburgh 02/24/02 530pm

just finished the other half of the sandwich - better than the first half - and am slowly downing some canada dry ginger ale - while lounging on the porch of the david lesser shelter.  i met up with skyline about 1/4 mile north of here, and he turned around and we came in here.  had a wonderful chat, then he headed back to keys gap, and home...

the shelter is just below, and east of, the ridgeline.  i should have some sun shining in on me in the morning.  no one else here - but that could change.  off to my right, a squirrel is rampaging through the leaves.  in the valley below, cows are mooing, dogs are barking, and a human voice occasionally filters through.  there is a separate covered pavilion to my left, with a porch swing and picnic table, and just down the slope, a nice tentsite, with a stone masonry fireplace and a picnic table.  the spring is on a loooong blue blaze down the slope, and is running...

the trail from harpers ferry crosses the shenandoah river following a walkway along the route 340 bridge, then crosses under the bridge and begins an ascent to the ridgeline.  the trail then follows the ridgeline, which is also the VA/WV state line.  my legs had none of the burning, muscle tearing fatigue that was dogging me my first six days.  it sure isn't time to say that i have my "legs", but things have improved.  the day off apparently did some physical good...

i'm all set up in the shelter, i'm fed, i've trekked to the spring and have filtered the water, i've read and signed the register, i'm sipping my ginger ale, my feet are propped up on my pillow, the sun is setting, and a full moon is rising in a clear sky...

all is well...

pittsburgh

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.