[at-l] formal study confirms more farts above 11,000 feet.

I didn't give y'all the following link when I first ran across it, cause I wasn't quite certain how to present it . . . but it's a really amazing map of half a hemisphere's methane distribution . . .

Maybe someone could explain the big methane hole around the equator . . . too few mountain climbers at those latitudes?
Bovine population distribution? Amazonian rain forest burning?

Jan Leitschuh <janl2@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Probably doesn't pollute any more than the smell & methane output of
> Thruhikers in March & April...

Imagine. If you thought it was bad at 4-6,000 feet...

  "Study: You Fart More Above 11,000 Feet

	"Sir Edmund Hillary never mentioned this in his memoirs, but
 climbing put the wind up him. In fact it puts the wind up all
 mountaineers.

  As hikers climb higher, the outside air pressure falls so there is less
resistance to
  the release of body gases – and uncontrollable, pneumatic flatulence (UPF)
occurs. The condition is High
  Altitude Flatus Expulsion. According to the journal, High Altitude
Medicine and Biology, it kicks in above 11,000ft.
  http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_medical/story.jsp?story=120500