[at-l] Poisoning wildlife and other remarkable suggestions....

In an otherwise excellent post which contained much useful information on
snakes and the many reasons to leave them in peace, Shane S. made one
comment that I have to take serious issue with.

In the course of his snake post, Shane advocated that every hiker load up on
rat poison in town, and then use it liberally in shelters to take care of
the resident mice.  Shane evidently felt that this was OK as the mice didn't
really belong in the shelters, were not "natural" residents, and should
therefore be killed with impunity. To quote Shane, he said "mice are an
artifice, rather than a natural part of the ecosystem there."

Nonsense.  Mice are certainly a "natural" inhabitant of the
backcountry---certainly more than we are, as we are only temporary guests
passing thru.  And the mice that live in the woodlands surrounding the
shelter are acting perfectly "naturally" in congregating where there's a
food source---that's what most animals do, in order to survive.  If people
are going to be sloppy with food and its disposal, this is going to attract
hungry animals, and they have every "right" to be there.

This does not give people, who are NOT natural inhabitants of these lands,
the right to kill wild animals with impunity because they feel
inconvenienced or "threatened" by them (by this I mean the comparative
non-threat of hantavirus, etc).   Carrying and using poison in the woods in
order to destroy inconvenient or troublesome wild animals is incredibly
irresponsible, and incredibly wrong---for any number of reasons:

   First off, the fact that shelters and campsites are frequented by mice is
no reason to kill 'em.  They're part of the natural landscape, they belong
there, and more important, they are a vital part of the food chain----there
are a great many wild animals who depend, in no small measure, on mice for
food.  Killing these mice in such an abrupt and unnatural a way as wantonly
spreading poison disrupts the chain and is both unkind and unfair to the
many animals who may depend on the mice as a food source.

  Second, spreading poison risks killing or sickening all sorts of
creatures, and not just mice---chipmunks, squirells, porcupines, racoons,
skunks, etc----all sorts of animals get into shelters and eat what they find
there, and it'd be wrong to sicken or kill them, intentionally or not.
Likewise, an animal that ingests poison at a shelter could then be eaten
(either alive or after its death) by yet another animal, and the poison
could then do even more damage.  There are many mammals and birds that are
carrion feeders---is it fair to kill them, too?   In addition to wild
animals, rodent poison could also be ingested by dogs or other innocent
creatures.

  In short, carrying and using poisons, pesticides, or other killers is
inherently wrong while in the backcountry----one is there as a visitor and a
guest, and not as an exterminator.  With the exception of swatting the
occasional mosquito, I don't think it's a good idea to kill ANY wild
creature while out hiking----unless you're hunting, and planning to eat what
you kill, or unless you or others are in an immediate life-or-death survival
situation, it's simply wrong to kill wildlife.

  There's a very simple remedy for those troubled by mice in trail shelters:
  Don't stay in 'em!   But the fact that wild creatures have decided to
frequent man-made structures along the trail does not mean that they are no
longer "a natural part of the ecosystem," as Shane says.  They are perfectly
natural, and they belong there.  What is not natural, and is plainly
immoral, is to indiscriminately put out poison when we come across animals
that we feel are out of place.  It is US who are out of place, and it is US
who are guests in the world where these animals live.  It is the poor guest
indeed who visits someone else's home, and indiscriminately spreads poison,
sickness, and death.