[at-l] Wood stoves: a threat to the trail?

> True, but when left to their own devices, trees
> can live an awfully long time.  (Just ask Treebeard.)
> Bristlecone pines, for example, can live for several
> millennia, and are probably the oldest living organisms
> on earth.
>
> <http://www.sonic.net/bristlecone/intro.html>

I have seen them, and if you're ever in California, they are worth the trip.
Very hard country, though...  It's interesting to commune with a creature
that wonders why the sky flickers...

Fortunately, they aren't any good for lumber.

> Yes, it's good that there are more trees now, but it's
> not quite as rosy a picture as some would paint, nor
> does it justify unregulated harvesting of lumber.

I didn't say it does, but every time somebody says, "Well there are more
trees now.", the comment is bad-mouthed.  I think the response should be,
"Yeah, and let's keep moving in that direction."

Shane