KILLER LOGS: WAS - Guns, Snakes, and Mice OH MY! (WAS: [at-l] RE: Manassas Shelter)

> Can picture it all now.  Get my kids, all 35 and 42 lbs. of them on the AT
> for the first time this summer and announce, "well chillen, the
> next log you
> climb over may .....or may not be a log.....

Logs are my perpetual bane on the trail, being responsible for more injuries
and hurt pride than I can relate.  A log also caused my inadvertent
encounter with an alligator.

When you approach a log, be very careful!  A log is a treacherous thing, and
a hungry death.  When you approach a log thump it with your walking stick.
Is it hollow?  Is it slippery?  Is it full of ants? Are there bees in it? Is
there a critter hiding on the other side waiting to bounce you?  Is there a
branch sticking out of it so that just as you step on the other side you
slip and whack your privates?

I can't say enough about the dangers of logs - and shooting them doesn't
seem to do any good...

Shane