[at-l] Wood stoves: a threat to the trail?

The last time I read about the eastern seabord forests, we have more land
covered with forest today than we had in 1776.

I find it hard to believe that the few hikers who use "wood burning"
stoves -- meaning they scrape together a few twigs to boil some water --
could possibly threaten either the trail or the forests. There simply arent'
enough people using wood to cook in this country . . .

To see what happens when a society relies on wood for cooking and heat,
check out the himalayan foot-hills in northern India, Pakistan, and
Afghanistan . . .