[at-l] AT missing the presidential peaks

On 24 Feb 2002 at 19:47, Papa Bear wrote:

> Hello all
>
> In studying the White Mountain section of the trail, I notice the AT
> detours around no less than 4 of the Presidential Peaks (Monroe, Clay,
> Jefferson and Adams).  <snip>

It doesn't miss the summits by much, and you're free to
go visit the summits if you like.  It's quite possible and
(dare I suggest) likely that you'll be less inclined to do
so once you're there.  If you've never hiked in the Whites,
you're in for a real treat -- assuming the weather holds.

Suffice to say that whatever pace you are accustomed
to in "normal" hiking, you will probably be going some-
what slower in the Whites.

Weather can be treacherous between Mt. Washington
and Mt. Madison, and that's no lie.

rafe b.
aka terrapin