[at-l] camera

On February 24, 2002 4:04 PM sAunTerer wrote

>Light, cheap and fairly rugged?  How about 2 out of 3?  Which 2 are most
important?

>sAunTerer

Actually there were four items - some degree of telephoto.  To me, all of
the above are important, but light & rugged would be at the top of the list
followed by the telephoto and then price.  But all are a factor.  From some
of the research (albeit surface scans) I have done, the Olympus Stylus Epic
Zoom 80 that Sly mentioned is running at the top of my list.  I will check
one out next week when a friend brings one into work.

Another would be the ease of finding film - some of the cameras use the APS
film cartridges, which, although gaining in popularity may not be available
everywhere - but then I'm just doing section hikes and will probably bring
enough film with me.

I have 3 digital cameras, one of the early Epson's, a Sony Mavica and one of
the HP -and am now eying the Nikon 5000 - but I would not take any of the
them backpacking with me due to the weight, battery life and ease of being
damaged.  I had looked at a used Canon Elph to fill in the gap as an
everyday digital camera with the thought towards taking it backpacking as
well - rethinking that now.  I already have a couple of the CompactFlash
cards that the Elph uses - which is also what my iPaq PDA uses - so it
looked like a natural direction to go in.  And, before I get something
stirred up, I have no intention of taking my iPaq along on my hike.....

By the way, I used one of the Pentax K1000 for years - hauled it around on
several backpacking forays until I got spoiled on a auto-focus Nikon.  Still
close to 20 years.  I have lots of glass up in my closet for both of them
(Pentax and Nikon), I just don't use them very much any more.  As a matter
of fact, my wife took over my darkroom and I ended up selling most all of my
processing equipment.

Thanks.

WhoAh