[at-l] ziplock durability

At 04:08 PM 2/22/02 -0600, Phil Heffington wrote:

>I can't believe I haven't tried this yet, but will a ziplock melt if
>boiling water is poured into it?  I usually just eat out of the pot in
>which I'm cooking, but pouring the water into the ziplock would prevent
>the cleaning of a pot after dinner.  Someone alluded to this earlier.
>What is the scoop?

Chocolate, butterscotch, or Rocky Roccoco.
Sorry, old (private) joke.

The boiling point of water is well below the melting point
of polyethylene.  There are lots of "boil in bag" foods.

However, there are still some concerns.  Steam can melt
plastic, because in that case it's the heat of condensation
that's doing the work.

You can melt plastic in a microwave when heating greasy
foods -- I'm guessing that's because the boiling point
of oil is higher than the melting point of plastic.

Don't forget to carry out the bag, or maybe burn it in a really
hot fire.

rafe b.
aka terrapin