Re[3]: [at-l] The Government and The Environment - TOTALLYOFF TOPIC

At 09:58 AM 2/21/02 -0600, Shane Steinkamp wrote:
>The Washington Post reported in April:
>
>"The $550,000 study was intended to determine who would have won if the Dec.
>8 statewide recount order by the Florida Supreme Court had not been halted
>the next day by the U.S. Supreme Court.
>
>"In trying to answer that question, the newspapers excluded counties that
>had already finished their recounts by the time the U.S. Supreme Court
>stepped in -- leaving the existing counts in place. Under that scenario,
>they said, Bush was the most likely winner -- whether or not counters used a
>permissive standard that included ballots that were merely dimpled or only
>counted as votes those with at least partially detached chads."

The operative phrase there is "Under that scenario...".  I belive the final
results were different depending on which of several suggested standards
was applied.  The truth is that under the electoral college system we will
never know who really won because the process was so flawed that it was
incapable of determining who really won.  Of course there is the fact that
Gore had a clear majority of the overall vote but as Shane (along with
every other defender of the Bush 'victory') pointed out, we are not living
in a democracy anyway.  Funny how my teachers in school all told me the US
was a democracy not to mention that we bill ourselves as the world's
leading democracy.  One wonders whatever happened to the issue of election
reform.  Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one still talking about it.

sAunTerer