[at-l] RE: Time for the role call

On 21 Feb 2002 at 13:00, Steve Vickers wrote:

> I'm still working on my mail drops, and that's what has been giving me the
> most problems.  Since I have never done a trip of this magnitude its
> difficult to determine how far in-between I should plan them.  I'm leaning
> towards more drops earlier in the trip because I'm sure that I will be
> sending various items home that are weighing me down.

Opinions vary.  I'd suggest no more frequently than every 10-14 days.
Some might even say, don't bother at all.

Trouble with mail drops is that they tend to create zero-days unless
you get really lucky.  Not saying zero-days are always a bad thing,
but sometimes you'd just as soon keep walking, or spend your
zero-time in the woods.

Imagine you arrive at some two-bit town on Friday PM, just
after the PO has closed.

No doubt lots of folks start out too heavy.  You'll have two or
three good chances in the first week to ditch stuff.  Suches,
for one, and maybe at Walasi-Yi (Neels Gap.)

Enjoy the trip, tho!

rafe b.
aka terrapin