[at-l] Poison Ivy

> They said their secret came from an older mountain woman, their hiking
> mentor actually, who had advised them to eat two tiny poison ivy
> leaves each
> spring. Mouse-ear-sized, eaten when the leaves are bronzey-red. They'll be
> out in about six weeks.
>
> Anyone ever hear of this? The kids swore they used to be allergic..
>
> Is there any immunological basis for this? Anyone care to experiment

The reaction to poison ivy is caused by an oil called urushiol.  Everyone is
born 'immune' to it, but then we develop a sensitivity - sometimes after
just two exposures.  I am 'immune', but I certainly don't handle the stuff
wantonly, and I certainly wouldn't eat it.  Sounds very dangerous to me...

Urushiol isn't like snake venom - in that over time small amounts make you
immune.  Urishiol affects you WORSE every time...

Shane