[at-l] MASKING PRIVY ODER / stopping privy from smelling

Chase says:
<The biggest odor maker in a privy is from urine. In most cases people
should pee in the woods and not in the privy. Urine also kills the natural
breakdown process in the holding area of the privy.>

I agree.  I think this is one of the things that most people don't know or
understand.  In many of the privies there are notes that tell people to pee
in the woods, because it inhibits breakdown, but I still think most folks
don't do that.  I have seen the composting privies being changed, and
attended 'evening talks' at some of the AMC huts on the process, and it's
really interesting to see how they compost solid waste and reprocess it.
But urine really does impede the process.  So does trash, which I
unfortunately saw in a bunch of privies on my hike.

Twilight