[at-l] The $1.50 rain gear

Ha! I had such FUN today...

Dave, you mentioned awhile back your interest in developing a silnylon rain
kilt to shed chill off the large muscles of the thighs. I think I have
discovered the prototype, and it is cheap!

There are several folks in town interested in backpacking with me, and it
has been an exercise to outfit them without breaking their budget. OB
steered me to a $250 challenge BPL was having, and I got some ideas there -
cheap Campmor bags, Grease Pot, tarps, borrowing and renting, cheap poncho,
etc.

Taking the $250 challenge to heart, today I discovered an inexpensive,
perfectly serviceable wind/rain pant for $1.50. Actually, I got seven (7!)
pain pants for the price.
Actually, it's not even a rain pant, it's a rain skirt (we can call it a
kilt, gents), which means even more circulation.

Lightbulbs!  I had been thinking about sewing a silnylon kilt or chaps,
since rain/wind pants are hot to hike in. But heavy rain and thirty six
degrees undoes me at home!

Then, while I was at Walmart yesterday buying supplies, I saw the Hefty
cinch sacks and something went off in my mind! A rain skirt!

I bought a the cheaper store brand box for $1.50, took one out and slit the
bottom open, slipped it on and tied it off at the waist - voila! a mid-calf
rain skirt.

It will tie off on the average person just fine, and also fit someone larger
with some creative cordage, so now I have yet another way to offer newbies
who want to go out without a huge investment.
Tough for the weight, in 1.1 mil fabric. Very light, lighter than my Provent
pants (now cut down into shorts). It sheds wind and rain, but lets air
circulate. It cost all of 21 cents. It can be trimmed to suit - on 5'7" me,
it drapes to mid-calf. This was the 33 gallon size, which was very large
down at the "leg" opening, (2'9"x3'2") and walks easily

Those interested in mini-skirts can compute the cost/benefit ratio of leg
vs.exposure and trim their own length.

I will hike in it the very next cold rain and report back.

This might help someone who has to take someone out on a budget, or Scouts
and such. In a pinch, it can double as other things - sit upon, ground
sheet, tarp wind block, emergency warmth, etc.

--
    	Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.

	Website: