[at-l] Purell vs. Poison Ivy-Now Soapy Water Stuff!

I think the soapy water discussion just spread out a bit; as to small
amounts of hiker wash water dumped on the ground away from streams, I
think that is ok as long as one walks a good distance from his/her
campsite/shelter, slings the stuff in a wide arc to minimize
concentration, and does not have any significant quantities of leftover
food in with the water [leftover food should be an AT oxymoronic
phrase!].  However, on the larger, human watershed scale, soapy water is
a HUGE water quality issue.  Prior to banning phosphates in laundry
detergent, phosphates in soaps were a significant contributor to
eutrophication in many watersheds.  Phosphate bans have done wonders to
reduce phosphorous contributions, but of course much work remains to be
done in reducing nutrient inputs [nitrogen and phosphorous] from
so-called "non-point" source runoff, and the more newly emergent issue
of atmospheric deposition.  In rural areas in eastern NC, so-called
"gray water" discharges [i.e., straight piping one's washing machine
into the nearest ditch or swamp or stream to avoid overloading an old
septic system] remains a non-trivial problem . . .

Ain't it amazin how a post about slinging a bit of Dr. Bronner's around
the AT can cover such ground [water]? :)

thru-thinker