[at-l] shelters

In a message dated 2/20/02 2:18:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
hudsom@us.ibm.com writes:

> So who came up with, and what is the point, of the shelters (Mt Algo in Ct
> being one example) with the 3-4 foot gap between the deacon seat and the
> sleeping platform?

    ***   I assume it's a "mud room" where wet, dirty, and drippy hikers can
shed their nasty gear before entering the shelter floor. Many hikers tend to
not mind tramping clods of mud up onto the shelter floor in an act of
outdoors macho-ness. They wreck it for those who take the time to enter the
shelter more cleanly.

     If there's no water flowing under the shelter, those extra 4 hikers can
easily lay out a ground cloth and sleep in the deacon trap...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---