[at-l] pittsburgh 02/19/02 400pm

i sit here in awe, at the edge of the black rock cliffs.  the sun is eight fingers from the horizon.  the foreground, looking into the valley, is crisp and clear.  i see I-70 coming from my left, and disappearing in the direction of hagerstown, which is in the distance due west, and a smidge north.  there is a forested area directly beneath me, tapering off into the valley as farm fields, and rural residential areas take over.  i also see a quarry, small but distinct.  beyond hagerstown, on the far hazy horizon, from as far left and right as i can see, is another appalachian mountain ridge...

just a tad south of these rocks on the AT is a great tenting area.  it will be my home for tonight.  i stopped at pogo campsite, 0.7 miles north of here, and filled up with water.  there is a spring trailside that was dry, and another down a steep rocky blue blazed trail.  that spring was also dry, but further down was a stream to the left.  steep descent down, steeper ascent back - at least it seemed that way<g>.  my inline (gravity) water filter is the greatest thing.  i hung bag full of dirty water in a tree, attached the filter with all of the tubing, and laid in the soft leaves as i filled my bottles, drip by drip...

there is a privy at pogo, and i had a good case of monkey butt going on, so i was happy.  a suggestion:  go to a "bed, bath and beyond" type store at your local mall and get a few of their little designer air fresheners.  these things will mask any odor, and trail privies are famous for their odor.  it is 1.5 ounces well worth carrying...

my tent is up, and i've fired my esbit stove for the first time this trip, heating water for some swiss miss.  i'll be in the tent soon.  my tent is an all mesh "bug hut 2".  i have a tarp to use as a fly, but not tonight.  the stars are mine tonight...

pittsburgh

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.