Re[2]: [at-l] silent spring

"... America already has that house on the beach and can afford to be
ecologically aware, ..."

 We certainly can afford to be, but sadly are not. We have cleaned the more
visible of our wastes over the past 30 years or so. Rivers in Ohio have stopped
catching fire. The tidal river in front of my house is now clean enough for the
harvesting of shellfish (shellfish are indicator species, since they filter in
the smallest particles in the water [bacteria] that remain when shellfish are
eaten by humans).

 But we also have elected a president who tells the world, "I don't care what it
 does to the world, if it hurts our economy, I'm opposed." We have more sprawl,
 more strip mines, more invisible chemical contamination than most of the
 industrialized world. And we have hikers who say in effect, "I don't care what
 they do to the trails. They help my knees and I'm going to use them."

 Weary