[at-l] silent spring

At 11:27 PM 2/19/02 -0500, Clark Wright wrote:

>My other philosophical point is that many from my generation [I'm 44]
>started with Sputnik and the idea that "science can do no wrong," then
>we hit Love Canal, Watergate, etc. and swung the other extreme - i.e.,
>all "establishment" entities [big business/government] are inherently
>evil and bad - and now we are trying to figure out just where we are now
>that we are part of the establishment in many instances!  The cycle of
>life will always continue, and we must struggle with getting beyond
>moralistic labels and on with the job of "no easy answers" to making the
>world a better place - "one step at a time" if you will! :)

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" (Robert Pirsig) is
one of the best books I've ever read on the subject of "good"
technology versus "bad" technology, and what makes either one
good or bad.  I read it while thru-hiking.

Pirsig made a big deal over the word "Quality," years before it became
a corporate buzzword.

We know that not all technology is bad... clearly the stuff we wear
and carry on our backs while in the woods must be in the "good
technology" category, right?  (MSR stoves and water filters,
GoreTex or PolarFleece fabrics, Photon flashlights, tents with
aluminum alloy or carbon-fiber poles, GPS, etc.)

Or the computers and networking gear that we're all using, at this
very moment, to carry on this discussion?

rafe b.
aka terrapin